Sunday, April 23, 2023

Final Thoughts on ISCI 761

 
My biggest takeaway from this class is that technology is becoming a majority share in the work of being a librarian, but it need not be a topic to fear. Over the course of these fifteen weeks, I have been exposed to many different types of technology that can be used in the school library or media center. Whereas using an app or website for a part of the curriculum might have been a very small portion of the learning experience even just five years ago, technology and digital learning is now the majority of the student experience. Librarians not only need to get on board the technology train, but we need to be the leaders in the school, helping students and staff stay on the cutting edge.
There were lots of powerful readings that stayed with me. I will continue to reflect on:
*AASL and ISTE standards
*Accessibility issues with technology and making websites universally accessible
*Uses of social media by the librarian
*How to combat cyberbullying
*Use of virtual reality for fun and education
*Creating content in the library, such as news programs, podcasts, etc.
What will propel me forward in my career is knowing that as a librarian, I am a resource for my patrons to use in their own personal knowledge quests. I don’t need to know everything, I just need to know how to help them get what they need. This class has continued to give me more exposure to the possibilities of what those varied needs may be. As we know, technology is changing at an ever-increasing rate, so we just need to stay flexible and open to change. This class also reminded me of the power of continuous learning, and that we should constantly be checking in with our authorities (ALA, ISTE, LOC, etc.) as well as our peers to gain knowledge and inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts on ISCI 761

  My biggest takeaway from this class is that technology is becoming a majority share in the work of being a librarian, but it need not be a...