Friday, January 27, 2023

Information Literacy, Technology and Digital Media in the Library

https://www.battelleforkids.org/networks/p21
Though the concepts of information literacy, technology and digital media all intersect, they are all huge subjects unto themselves. In the readings and resources for this week, we can see how they overlap in the context of the library as learning center. The Framework for 21st Century Learning states, "Today, we live in a technology and media-driven environment, marked by access to an abundance of information, rapid changes in technology tools and the ability to collaborate and make individual contributions on an unprecedented scale." (P21, pg. 2) 


We as librarians will be partly responsible for teaching all these concepts to our students. Info lit is broadly the knowing of how to discern reliable resources and information from biased or "fake" information. Info lit is also how to find that information - where to go, what questions to ask of what resources. Technology is such a broad topic, entire degrees are taught in it. It could refer to computers, projectors, phones, etc. In the library, digital media means all the tools that students will use to discover, synthesize and present information. This includes database searches, video editing, podcast creation, and citations, among many other technologies. Librarians need to know how to guide students along on their paths of definition, discovery, and presentation.

Define, Strategize, Locate, Use, Synthesize, Evaluate would be my translation of the Big6 process for problem solving via information seeking. I agree that "People go through these Big6 stages—consciously or not—when they seek or apply information to solve a problem or make a decision." (Big6.org) I see that the steps don't have to be linear, and I think they would not naturally be. I think I would teach research skills as a circular process, where the initial question is asked, some sources are found and evaluated, then an initial evaluation of the information is performed which might influence the original question definition. Then round again the student should go, refining and changing course on their trip toward an end product.

I really liked the process used in the keyword search video much better (Hayden Memorial Library). In that process, the Define stage was enhanced and worked on with care. In my experience, students and other information seekers don't really know what they are looking for when they start their research, they merely want to complete an assignment. Taking time to define the research question will have a ripple effect on the efficiency of their whole process for them. As was noted, it's not the lack of digital information that exists on a given topic that is the problem, it is getting the right information for your question. 

In the Liturgist podcast episode (Gungor, 2017), I thought the rap about determining a source's integrity was a hilarious way to get attention, inform and remind information consumers about the importance of knowing from where their information is coming. Obviously we as teachers couldn't share such a swear-y source, but it's a good reminder to meet students where they are in terms of being taught, let's face it, boring information.

I can't believe how many packaged lesson plans there are on the Common Sense Media site (Common Sense Media, nd). Even if I don't use those exact resources, they are there as a starting point. I see the librarian I work with at the high school struggle creating engaging lessons that aren't just follow-along research database explorations. This site will be very helpful as I go forward in my library career.

As far as what an information diet for a school librarian should be, the answer is still mostly unknown for me. I feel like every new reading and resource I do for each class leads me down a new rabbit hole of information to be garnered. I had not heard of the Liturgists podcast, though I am an avid podcast listener. And Common Sense media has been on my parenting radar, but I didn't realize there was so much educational content there. The list of sources that librarians seem to "need" to consume on a weekly or monthly basis seems overwhelming. It might be an interesting informational interview question for current librarians. Podcasts from all sorts of backgrounds, SLJ blogs and print material, ALA blogs and articles, books to recommend for our students, Booklist periodical to buy books, books on best practices for teaching in the library... And then all the media we want to consume for our own pleasure that make us interesting people! There are not enough hours in the day for a well-rounded librarian media diet!

Resources

P21 "Framework for 21st Century Learning" (Published 05/2015) Partnership for 21st Century Learning

Big6.org. (nd). The Big6 Resourceshttps://thebig6.org/resources-1

Hayden Memorial Library. [@HaydenMemorialLibrary]. (2016, December 15). Selecting & Using Keywords HD [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx6-rFf28SQ

Gungor, M. (Host). (2017, March 7). Fake News & Media Literacy [Audio podcast episode]. In The Liturgists. https://anchor.fm/the-liturgists-podcast/episodes/Fake-News--Media-Literacy-eutfrm/a-a58d433


Common Sense Media. (nd). News and Media Literacy Resource Center. https://www.commonsense.org/education/news-media-literacy-resource-center

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jennifer! I really enjoyed the podcast as well. I guess I am more of a visual learner so I don't listen to podcasts often but that song they made up about digital literacy had me laughing out loud! I had to share it with my husband who just rolled his eyes :D
    It's important for librarians to be role models for the students and staff in a school building. It goes well beyond being well-read in literature. I think we are seeing a huge movement in school librarians being technology experts and advocates for research. The two mesh together so well that we have to be educated in how to research well and how to suss out fake information. That way we can show others how to be successful in digital literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the podcast! My fiancé actually thought that I was just listening to it for fun because that is definitely something I would listen to in my free time, but I was happy to explain that it was for class. I think that it is so important that as librarians we are ready to have discussions with students about good digital literacy skills. I think its easy for students just to Google something, but if we teach them proper research skills they will see that it's really not that much more involved and they will receive better results!

    ReplyDelete

Final Thoughts on ISCI 761

  My biggest takeaway from this class is that technology is becoming a majority share in the work of being a librarian, but it need not be a...